Each and everyday, I notice something different or unique about Australia that would catch my eye.
Here are 20 unique realizations off the top of my head that set Australia apart from Canada.
- Australia doesn’t have baby carrots.
- Australia is hella expensive compared to Canada in close to everything.
- Australia men are way more aggressive when it comes to approaching you… This goes for things like, asking out on dates, dancing w/ at a bar, or even striking up a casual conversation. Definately can be considered a good and bad thing.
- Australian lifestyle is way more laid back then Canadian. Australians work to play.
- A typical Australian doesn’t actually say G’day when they are saying hello.
- Pretty much everything in Australia closes by 5pm on the weekdays except restaurants and cafe’s. Shopping centres (malls) are not open at night.
- Australia has this really cool thing in movie theatres where when you purchase your tickets you can pre-select your seat so you dont have to worry about saving seats when you get snacks, etc.
- A standard high-ball mixed drink or beer in Australia is around $8.50.
- It is not customary for Australians to tip.
- Australias beaches are by far the nicest in the world. Personal opinion… I guess I am biased, haven’t been to too many… but they are drop dead gorgeous.
- A small container (250g) of blueberries in Australia is around AU $8… you can get a 2kg container in Canada for about $2.99.
- School is like highschool. Lots of little assignments, online assessments and quizes.
- The driving progression system is very different. You have to get a “learner’s permit” and then have recorded over 100hours of driving before you are allowed to take your “on you own” driving test. That is ALOT of practise if you ask me… as back in Canada we only have to do about 10hours of in car lessons.
- Starbucks in Australia isn’t as popular. They have various other chain coffee shops such as Gloria Jeans, and Hudson’s Coffee. Most coffee shops are individually owned and operated in a cafe style. Cafe’s are EVERYWHERE.
- Australia is amazing for their DFOs. Direct Factory Outlets are the reason I came back broke. Amazing shopping.
- Phone service in Australia is drastically cheaper than Canada. You can get over $550 worth of bulk credit (phone, text, international calling, data) for $40 a month. I used to call back to Canada all the time, and be on the internet nonstop and would never even reach half of my allotted credit. Vodaphone for the win!
- Australia is NOT always hot, as many of you people probably think.
- Australia is also not all desert and beaches… there are full blown cities with no desert or beach close by.
- In Australia when you ask for Lemonade… you are actually asking for Sprite or 7 UP.
- Australia is however a very easy country to live in as a Canadian… everyone loves you as soon as you open your mouth. Canadian charms works wonders!